2014 Georgia AHEAD Spring conference
Ethics & Accessibility Considerations: Social Media and Web-based Communications
April 4, 2014
Georgia AHEAD 2014 Spring Conference: Creating a Legacy of Success
Middle Georgia State College Macon, Georgia
Carolyn Phillips, Director, and Liz Persaud, Training, Outreach and Development Coordinator, Tools for Life
Welcome to the Assistive Technology revolution! The world around us is evolving at an astounding rate. Assistive Technology developments had been foundational in this evolution in a capitalist producing positive life-changing results for individuals with disabilities. However, as new technology develops, professionals are challenged to create new and innovative ethical boundaries to accommodate these advancements. This talk will share information on technology and ethical considerations when serving people with disabilities. Presenters will provide ethical considerations from the code of professional ethics for rehabilitation counselors as well as the American counseling Association code of ethics regarding social media and web-based communications. Discussion will center on understanding social media "terms of agreement" and "privacy" language.
1. Participants will be able to identify 3 ethical considerations from the CODE OF PROFESSIONAL ETHICS FOR REHABILITATION COUNSELORS regarding Social Media and Web-based Communications.
2. Participants will be able to identify 3 ethical considerations from the AMERICAN COUNSELING ASSOCIATION CODE OF ETHICS regarding Social Media and Web-based Communications.
3. Participants will be able to locate 2 platform terms of services agreements.
4. Participants will be able to identify 3 assistive technology solutions/strategies for effective communication with students.
5. Participants will know 2 resources for continued technical assistance in web-based communications.
Resources for You!
- Visit the Tools for Life website to learn more about Georgia's assistive technology services.
- Visit the AMAC website to learn more about Georgia's accessibility solutions.