TFL Training: PODD Training 2018
Hosted by: Tools for Life along with TFL Network Partner, C4ATX 'Wednesday, January 18 and Thursday, January 19, 2018 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM EST each day
Trainer: Kelly Fonner, Certified PODD Trainer
- Registration Fee: $75 for both days (includes lunch)
- Overnight Lodging Accommodations must be made on you own
CEU application has been submitted to the AAC Institute
This PODD Training is a two-day course that will demonstrate the use of a Pragmatic Organization of Dynamic Display (PODD) approach developed by Gayle Porter (Melbourne, Australia). Generic templates for multi-page “light tech” communication books have been carefully designed to support genuine communication for a variety of functions throughout the day. These templates may be customized for a range of access methods and other individual needs. The newer electronic versions available through the Grid & Compass Apps will also be demonstrated.
Participants will learn strategies for creating multi-modal language learning environments that provide receptive models and expressive opportunities for language development, as well as strategies for teaching and using PODD with children and their communication partners. A wide variety of student case examples will be shared through videos.
Participants will have an opportunity for hands-on practice with the 2 most used PODD communication books - the 12PODD Expanded Functions and the 70PODD. There will be demonstration models of over 15 types of PODD books for participants to view throughout the training. Videos shown will be of various children using these books.
Learning Objectives: As a result of attending this 2 day training, participants will be able to:
- Describe the challenges faced by professionals creating communication systems in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
- Discuss the importance of receptive language input and creating a language-learning environment.
- Discuss the features of a PODD communication system in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with students and team members.