TFL Team Meeting - 12/17/2019
- Increase access to and acquisition of assistive technology devices and services so Georgians of all ages and disabilities can live, learn, work and play independently in communities of their choice.
Team Meeting Expectations
1. All TFL team meetings are no/light device meetings. This means using your device professionally, minimally, as an accommodation, or for emergencies.
2. Be mindful of the time you are given for your updates.
3. Provide thoughtful and comprehensive updates to the team. This time is the opportunity for everyone to learn about TFL projects and activities.
- This is our last team meeting of the year!
- We've had a great year and always work together to overcome any obstacles thrown our way. Let's reflect on and share our accomplishments for 2019!
- Please share one incredible accomplishment and/or goal that you achieved this year.
- And please share one of your goals/contributions towards TFL in 2020.
- After our team meeting today, we will plan to have lunch together. Location TBD.
TFL Director Updates (Carolyn)
TFL Research Updates (Ben S. & Carolyn)
Assistive Technology Outcomes & Benefits (ATOB) Journal:
- Volume 13 has been released. Thank you, again, Tori for all your hard work on this volume! Here’s a link to the Volume 13 web page: https://www.atia.org/atob-volume-13/
- Volume 14 theme will be "Literacy". The paper we submitted, "Does Mastery of AT in High school Impact Post Secondary Performance?" has been accepted for that issue. Release will be mid-2020.
- ATIA (Jan 30) - Ignite! ("Smack-down" for research nerds) Ben is currently slated to be Moderator
- ATIA (Jan 30) - DBHDD Project Poster Presentation
- ATIA (Feb 1) - Mastery of AT presentation
- GSHA (Feb 13-15) DBHDD Project full presentation
- Project closed last month. Final billing going in shortly.
- Ben is still participating in the Employment First "Callaway Work Group".
- Ron Wakefield (DBHDD Dir.) wants to set up a meeting after the first of the new year.
What Users of AT Wish Developers Knew About Their Literacy Experiences Project
- "Think Aloud" with students from Howard School was completed Oct 30.
- Transcription of sessions is now complete.
- Started thematic analysis.
- Next step: working with college students from GA Tech.
Work ACCESS Project (Decision Tree Project)
- Working on a pre-conference event at ATIA, as well as special mini-sessions during conference, to tap experts in job accommodation for validation of Work Access project expert panels.
- Thanks to Liz and her team for coordinating registration, publicity, etc. for these events.
- Initial demo of Work ACCESS tool to be presented at ATIA. Requirements document for design & programming of Work ACCESS tool has been circulated.
Research proposal submissions in progress:
- FIP (NIDILRR) Dementia proposal being reworked (Karen and Carolyn, Jan 27, 3 yr @) $200K)
- FIP (NIDILRR) Mastery of AT & impact on employment for PWD (Ben and Karen, Jan.27, 3 yr @) $200K)
- Possible SBIR - with Jack Smith: Spoken Word Recognition for Individuals Who Are Speech Impaired
- Grant collaboration -Tracy Rackensperger (UGA) - "Creating Opportunity & Independence" (CO&I) Grant (Craig H. Nielsen Foundtn. ~$100K) - training model for individuals with recent Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI).
Other Decision Trees/Algorithum Projects:
- Aging Decision Tree Project (Washington)
- We have reached out to Jeffrey Thompson Director Planning List Systems about collaboration on decision tree for DONR in GA.
- Working with Karen Milchus on rework of a previous development grant proposal for a Dementia Decision Tree for FIP due Jan 27)
TFL State Leadership Activities - (Liz)
- Data Reminder: Don't forget to include your presentations, trainings, public awareness, education, etc. in the database each month.
- What Happened & What's Upcoming
- GATE was a success! Thank you to everyone involved (especially Sam)!
- Webinar archive re-linking - Annabel lead
- Amazon Contract & Video Project
- Working on scope of work and budget with Patrick
- Developing scripts/storyboards for videos
- TFL team members involved: CP, Liz, Sam, Danny, Rachel, DeeDee
- ATIA planning is underway!
- Who's going? - Carolyn, Danny, Ben, Tori, DeeDee, Ciara (confirmed)
- Travel Authorizations - Submit ASAP
- Lodging - make your reservations ASAP
- Registration - Register ASAP
- Responsibilities at ATIA - TFL cohosting 2 workshops, all TFL hands on deck - Carolyn & Tori lead
- We will be having 2 sessions to review the workshops and everyone's roles: Thursday 12/19 and Tuesday 1/7, both at 2:00 PM
- Wiki PPT submissions - Tori
- TFL policy and procedures - Liz, Sam
- TechSAge 2 Quarterly Report (submitted)
- UD Videos - On track and will be completed by mid January!
- Please include the training team on professional development activities - presentations, trainings, events, tours, demos, visiting other sites, etc.
- ATAP (AT3)
- 2020 contract is in place - webinars, social media accessibility webinar - Danny and Tori, videos, accessible docs
- AT Reuse Activities
- Carolyn, Liz, Danny, others as needed
- Still continue to provide Reuse TA.
- Working with AT3 on TA protocol, etc.
- Disaster Relief Efforts: PIDS - Danny lead, Portal requests - Ciara/Tori
- GTPE UD Video Project
- Liz, Sam, Tori, Raminta
- Writing scripts, Editing videos - will be finished by winter break!
- Work ACCESS - Decision Tree/AT Software KnowledgeBase
- Carolyn, Liz, Sarah, Ben S., Tori
- Focus groups - we need participants and would like your input on possible candidates
- TechSAge 2 - Training and Outreach
- Carolyn, Liz
- Have you listened to the podcast yet?
- Continue to provide public awareness and education, Planning continues for competition. (Danny, Carolyn)
- Check out the RERC TechSAge website to learn more.
- GT Wireless RERC - Training and TA
- Carolyn, Liz, Sam, Raminta
- Outreach & Public Awareness ongoing (Sam lead)
- Wireless RERC SoT - 5/21-22 - Save the Dates!
TFL K-12 Initiatives and Updates (Gina)
- K-12 Contract – Statement of Work (SOW)
- From CIDI/TFL end is complete – GaDOE/Special Education is pleased with it
- Currently back with Special Education to initiate contract, go through Cabinet, and take to the State Board of Education (SBE)
- Timelines are January 2020 – December 2020
- Components of this contract include:
- Customized, mini AT Training Videos (3-7 minutes each) – 5 videos
- Assistive Technology (AT Consultation Services) – portal to log services and track time
- Assistive Technology Webinar Series – supporting a series that has already been scheduled and marketed
- AT/UDL Software Pilot Program – software for reading, writing & math, possibly accommodation assessment
- Assistive Technology Lending Library
- Discovery Surveys
- EdTrade, Georgia Assistive Technology School Swap Database
- Strategic Roadmaps for future development and operation of
- Expanded UDL/AT Software package
- E-Text delivery program
- District membership for CIDI/TFL services
- K-12 Referrals
- Slow and steady scheduling referrals we have and writing reports
- Regularly getting requests for new evaluations; trying to move towards demonstrations
- K-12 Contract – Statement of Work (SOW)
- Georgia School for the Deaf Contract
- Delay in the Contract
- AAC Assessment
- Two Trainings
- Delay in the Contract
- Preliminary discussions regarding participation in National Science Foundation (NSF) grant. Georgia would be 1/3 states (Kentucky, Georgia, & Michigan). Proposed project – Accessible Online Science Assessment Outcomes for Students with Disabilities - looking at online assessments, embedded tools and impact on student performance.
- AAC Camp – @ Camp Twin Lakes this spring (2020) for a weekend camp for kick-off (Camp Jabberjaw - Mississippi State University is losing funding looking to replicate something like Camp Jabberjaw here in GA)
- CHOA is involved, private individuals – logistics & fundraising to be worked out, but seeming determined to get this off the ground for the spring
- UGA & UWG with SLP Programs
- looking to involve Valdosta, Georgia Southern University Armstrong Campus, & Georgia State SLP Programs
TFL Direct AT Services - AT Access Updates (Martha)
- Device Demos All Centers 10/1/18- Present: 1096
- Device Demo TFL 10/1/18- Present: 212
- Device Loan All Centers 10/1/18-Present: 668
- Device Loan TFL 10/1/18- Present: 364
- Device Reutilization 10/1/18- Present: 7628
- Sal's last day will be this Thursday
- Contract Updates
- 1. DBHDD- Finishing up- received an email last week that work to have had ceased on 11/9
- 2. ADA and workplace assessment with Rome DFAC- Sarah
- 3. Have been meeting with several families for demos- these have take a bit of time as more complex with lots of questions
- 4. Thank you to everyone that attended the Texxthelp training last Tuesday
- 5. SignGlasses demo last Tuesday
- 6. Capti Demo scheduled in December
- 7. University of Hawaii presentation and talk about semester AT course
TFL AT Acquisition Updates (Danny)
No new applications will be processed until after the 10th of January
- Keep clean and organized, thanks to the person who tidied up the main AT lab (Annabel?)
- GATE- 3 prezzies, I'm in the same room for all three, it'll basically be a small AT lab
- A lot of AT for eating and medication management have been packed
- Need to learn how to use the Hero- does anyone have any experience with that?