TFL Team Meeting - 09/17/2019
- 1 TFL Mission
- 2 Team Meeting Expectations
- 3 Agenda
- Increase access to and acquisition of assistive technology devices and services so Georgians of all ages and disabilities can live, learn, work and play independently in communities of their choice.
Team Meeting Expectations
1. All TFL team meetings are no/light device meetings. This means using your device professionally, minimally, as an accommodation, or for emergencies.
2. Be mindful of the time you are given for your updates.
3. Provide thoughtful and comprehensive updates to the team. This time is the opportunity for everyone to learn about TFL projects and activities.
TFL Director Updates (Carolyn)
TFL Research Updates (Ben S. & Carolyn)
- Volume 13 is in final editing. Expect release soon. Thank you Tori for all your hard work on this volume!
- Volume 14 theme will be "Literacy". Call for Papers closed June 15. We submitted a paper, "Does Mastery of AT in High school Impact Post Secondary Performance?"
On DBHDD Contract:
- Draft report on recently completed DBHDD Project is being circulated. All feedback and critique is appreciated.
- New DBHDD Project contract has reportedly been signed by GA Tech and awaits final approval from DBHDD.
- Modifications to SRI database are just getting started. Team is in the process of articulating changes for Matthew Blake in a format that he can work from.
- Ben is part of Calloway Working Group (Employment First Initiative) looking at partnership between DBHDD and GVRA on employment of PWDD. Ben has been assigned to the Data and Research Sub-group. This should provide some visibility to current outcomes data on employment of people with developmental disabilities (GVRA/UGA).
- Ben, Carolyn and Chantal met with GTRI and DBHDD regarding their project to examine the DON-R (Determination of Need) instrument for assessing levels of need of PWDD. We will be exploring possible ways to collaborate going forward.
Work ACCESS Project
- Team conducted several focus groups on mobility, workstation accomodation and reading and writing in the workplace. More to come in the weeks ahead.
- Thanks to Liz for pulling the focus group announcements together and sending them out.
Other Decision Trees/Algorithum Projects:
- K-12 - Phillip Roberts is sharing access to what he has done so far. Will be here in ATL/ at TFL in late August.
- Paroles & Pardons Project
- Aging Decision Tree Project (Washington)
Development Grant from College of Design: What Users of AT Wish Developers Knew About Their Literacy Experiences
- Awaiting IRB approval
- Howard school is on board and lining up participants.
TextHelp (Literacy and AT) Project - Troup County (LaGrange, GA)
- Data collection is finished and analysis is under way.
- Exploring other possible Grant opportunities:
- HIIAT (High Impact Innovative Assistive Technology) Grants
- FIP (Field Initiated Proposals) NIDILRR Proposals
- GVRA Contract
- Establishing a UX Accessibility Lab (John)
- Establishing a Consortium for Accessibility Research
TFL State Leadership Activities - (Liz)
- Data Reminder: Don't forget to include your presentations, trainings, public awareness, education, etc. in the database each month.
- What Happened
- GATE - exhibitor registration is now open.
- Living Alone with Alzheimers event
- HSHT Self Advocacy training
- What's Coming up
- Milo Webinar
- LTC Spain Provider meeting 9/26
- TFL Advisory Council meeting on 9/24 is cancelled. ATAP call on 9/18.
- A Morning with Judy Heumann, International Disability Rights Activist
- Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Atlanta Friends Meeting, 701 West Howard Avenue, Decatur, GA 30030
- TFL policy and procedures - Liz, Sam
- TFL website - Liz, Tori
- ATAP (AT3) working on SOW for 2020 contract
- AT Reuse Activities
- Carolyn, Liz, Danny, others as needed
- Still continue to provide Reuse TA.
- Working with AT3 on TA protocol, etc.
- Disaster Relief Efforts: PIDS - Danny lead, Portal requests - Ciara/Tori
- GTPE UD Video Project
- Liz, Sam, Tori, Raminta
- Writing scripts, Editing videos
- Work ACCESS - Decision Tree/AT Software KnowledgeBase
- Carolyn, Liz, Ben S.
- Focus groups - we need participants and would like your input on possible candidates
- TechSAge 2 - Training and Outreach
- Carolyn, Liz
- Continue to provide public awareness and education, Planning continues for competition.
- Check out the RERC TechSAge website to learn more.
- GT Wireless RERC - Training and TA
- Carolyn, Liz, Sam, Raminta
- Outreach & Public Awareness ongoing (Sam lead)
- ATOB Journal
- Tori continues to work on the ATOB layout.
TFL K-12 Updates- K-12 Initiatives (Gina)
o K-12 Referrals
- Approximately 30 active referrals
- Not accepting any new K-12 referrals for this fiscal year
- Will take time to complete evaluations and reports for the existing referrals we have
o Other Key Points Regarding K-12 Referrals
- Will not consider referrals that require signed contracts/paperwork – such as in the case of Independent Educational Evaluations (IEE’s)
- Working to update our evaluation rates – work in progress
- Working to update the overall referral process with background information and intake forms to give us a better foundation before beginning evaluations
- Working to “standardize” our evaluation process – using forms; creating toolkits
o K-12 Meeting
- Carolyn and I meeting are with Wina, Zel, and Paula today to discuss current trends & plans at Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE)
- Archdiocese Training – August 27
o Assistive Technology for Reading & Writing
o AT for Calming the Jitters (Fidgets, Alternative Seating, Sensory)
o Tour involving E-Text, Captioning & Described Media, & Braille
- State Special Education Directors
o September 16, 2019; 1-4
o October 23, 2019; 1-4
o March 16, 2020; 1-4
o State Special Education Directors and administrators will sign up to attend one of the three dates for session here at CIDI. We will cover AT. Interests include: E-Text, Captioning & Described Media, Large print & Braille, AAC & Communication, Smart Pens & Note Taking, PODD Books & Core Vocabulary to support communication in the classroom, PDF and the mark-up process, the use text-to-speech to access PDF and Word docs, fidgets and alternate seating.
- Georgia Advocacy Office
o Meeting to discuss augmentative-alternative communication last month with a group there
o Affirmation we are all seeing very similar trends
o There is interest in a group coming here for a tour as it has been a while
- Guest Speaking – Ben’s AAC class at UGA
o September – chance for DeeDee and I to update engineered materials – to create a presentation that can meet serve in a lot of capacities
TFL Direct AT Services - AT Access Updates (Martha)
- Device Demos All Centers 10/1/18- Present: 949
- Device Demo TFL 10/1/18- Present: 140
- Device Loan All Centers 10/1/18-Present: 519
- Device Loan TFL 10/1/18- Present: 272
- Device Reutilization 10/1/18- Present: 6266
- Contract Updates
- 1. DBHDD- Waiting on the new contract- working on the research now and completing the Belton Reports
- 2. Other assessments- completed MFP assessment, 2 workplace assessments have been asked about
- 3. Working with Danny on inventory in AT Lab
- 4. From a contact of Sal's- Elder Care Fair at the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta on August 14, 2019 from 11:00AM to 2:00PM
- 5. Met with Marnie Harris who is interning with Hello Robot yesterday
- 6. School Assessments- we are working on scheduling the ones on the list and answering calls and emails from those who inquire
TFL AT Acquisition Updates (Danny)
Projects: TFL - Activities: Credit-Able, G-Trade, Dollars & Sense, AT Depot Co-op
- Working on getting people to use it
- Initial push will be for CILs to start referring consumers to it (or using it themselves)
- New gTrade specific post card to promote
- Phase 2 will involve the library system and other service providers
- Redesign will come later
Inventory 2, DBHDD Boogaloo
- Equipment is arriving Wednesday morning
- 5 pallets
- Some assorted boxes
- FODAC is graciously delivering items
- If you haven't sent availability, do so ASAP
- I neglected to check the calendar invite and presumed everyone was on it- sorry!
- DBHDD Equipment will be housed downstairs in the (former) Enabling Environments lab. Rusty is working on clearing out as much stuff as possible
- The plan:
- 2-3 people unpacking items
- 1-2 people entering items into the database and printing labels
- 2 people minimum assembling shelving
- Don't forget about the currency reader program, send along people you know that qualify
- When you bring equipment back from an expo or demo put it back where you got it, do not randomly put things back in the lab.
- Display shelves should have no more than 4 items to avoid looking cluttered.
- I'm still fine tuning storage and will send out an updated list of where things are stored within the month.