Rehabilitation Engineers Society of North America (RESNA) Conference & International Conference of Rehabilitation & Robotics (ICORR) June 19-26, 2013
WS #4: Talking Books, Creative Notes, and Tablet Showdown: Which Apps and Tablet Could Assist a Student With a Learning Disability
- Carolyn Phillips, ATP, AMAC/Tools for Life
- Level: All levels Topic Area: COG
Today’s world has really turned into a mobile market. In the year 2010 it was reported that there were over 1000 new apps submitted every day and in 2012 over 400 million iTunes accounts (Y. Lachelle, Aug., 2010 and H. Dediu, June 2012). Apple reported that in 2012 there were approximately 73 million iPhones in the world. With that many mobile devices it is no wonder that students are turning towards using them in their classroom environment. However knowing which tablet and what app to use can be a challenge. Tools for Life created an online database to make it easier for an individual to search for the correct app. Participants will have the opportunity to see and explore Our Favorite Apps for Living, Learning, Working, and Playing.
- Learning Outcomes:
1. Participants will have the opportunity to compare and contrast at least 3 of the popular mobile tablets.
2. Participants will come away with learning about at least 3 apps that can assist a student with a learning disability read their books or PDFs aloud.
3. Participants will also have the opportunity to explore at least 3 apps that can assist with note taking/ organization.
Resources For You!