Tools for Life Assistive Technology (AT) Awards
AT Award Categories
The Naomi Walker “Catalyst for Positive Change” Award
- The Naomi Walker “Catalyst for Positive Change” Award recognizes an individual who has accomplished breaking down barriers by implementing policies, assistive technology acquisition, and overall systems change. Naomi worked with urgency for people who were often vulnerable to being misunderstood. She knew that every day mattered and no one should be cast aside. This award will honor Naomi’s legacy by recognizing a passionate, dedicated, and determined individual who brings forth positive change for individuals of all abilities. This award was created by Tools for Life, Georgia’s Assistive Technology Program in recognition of outstanding achievement in this area.
The Melinda Quinn “Squeaky Wheel” Award
- The Melinda Quinn “Squeaky Wheel” Award recognizes an individual who has worked at the community level to develop local grassroots efforts through advocacy. Melinda encouraged other parents to fight for every service available for their child living with a disability. As a tireless advocate, Melinda would often say, "If you want people to take action on your requests, you must be the squeaky wheel on their cart." This award will honor Melinda's legacy by recognizing an advocate that works in the community to support parents, families and those living with disabilities. This award was created by Tools for Life, Georgia’s Assistive Technology Program in recognition of advocacy work in the community.
Excellence in AT Service Delivery Team Award
- The Excellence in AT Team Award recognizes an AT Team, at the local or statewide level, that involves two or more professionals or entities that promote or facilitate the development of effective AT integration in a classroom, school, school system, workplace and/or community. Factors considered include coordination of services, networking and collaboration, innovation in development and implementation, and lasting impact of the service provided on person(s) served. This award honors excellence in the provision of effective AT services to Georgians.
Tools for Life Visionary Award
- The Visionary Award recognizes a leader in the field of Assistive Technology in Georgia who has enhanced the field by demonstrating vision, innovation, and/or initiative. This individual has done this through advancing understanding, access, acquisition and/or quality service delivery. This award was created by Tools for Life, Georgia’s Assistive Technology Program in recognition of outstanding achievement in the field.
Tools for Life Innovative Design Award
- The Innovation Award recognizes outstanding design of a program, project, product, building, space and/or inclusive classroom. This award was created by Tools for Life, Georgia’s Assistive Technology Program to promote creativity and encourage AT & universal design principles for equal access of all people.
Tools for Life Emerging Leader Award
- The Tools for Life Emerging Leader Award honors a student with a disability who has demonstrated proactive leadership skills by using assistive technology in their school environment, during transition practices, and/or preparation for continuing education and community living. This award was created by Tools for Life, Georgia’s Assistive Technology Program in recognition of excellent self-advocacy skills, leadership amongst peers, and an outstanding ability to overcome barriers.
Previous Award Winners
View previous winners here.