TFL Training: PODD Training 2018
PODD Training with Kelly Fonner, Certified PODD Trainer
Hosted by: Tools for Life along with TFL Network Partner, C4ATX
512 Means Street, NNW, Atlanta, GA 30318
Downstairs Training Rooms A & B
Wednesday, January 18 and Thursday, January 19, 2018 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM EST each day
- PODD Training Registration is offered through Eventbrite.
- Registration Fee: $75 for both days (includes lunch)
This PODD Training is a two-day course that will demonstrate the use of a Pragmatic Organization of Dynamic Display (PODD) approach developed by Gayle Porter (Melbourne, Australia). Generic templates for multi-page “light tech” communication books have been carefully designed to support genuine communication for a variety of functions throughout the day. These templates may be customized for a range of access methods and other individual needs. The newer electronic versions available through the Grid & Compass Apps will also be demonstrated.
Participants will learn strategies for creating multi-modal language learning environments that provide receptive models and expressive opportunities for language development, as well as strategies for teaching and using PODD with children and their communication partners. A wide variety of student case examples will be shared through videos.
Participants will have an opportunity for hands-on practice with the 2 most used PODD communication books - the 12PODD Expanded Functions and the 70PODD. There will be demonstration models of over 15 types of PODD books for participants to view throughout the training. Videos shown will be of various children using these books.
As a result of attending this 2 day training, participants will be able to:
- Describe the challenges faced by professionals creating communication systems in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
- Discuss the importance of receptive language input and creating a language-learning environment.
- Discuss the features of a PODD communication system in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with students and team members.
Overnight lodging accommodations must be made on you own. There are no group discounts, room blocks or codes to reference. For your convenience, here is a list of surrounding hotels. Please contact the hotel directly to make your reservations.
- Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
- Hampton Inn Atlanta-Georgia Tech-Downtown
- Courtyard Atlanta Midtown/Georgia Tech
The CEU application has been submitted to the AAC Institute for approval.
Parking is free in the Tools for Life | AMAC Accessibility parking lots. There are a few accessible parking spaces closer to the 512 building.