Assistive Technology Funding
Locating funding often creates a barrier to acquiring needed assistive technology devices and services.
While Tools for Life does not directly fund the purchase of devices, it is a resource for individuals with disabilities and their family members, staff, service providers, counselors, employers, and others to:
- obtain information about assistive technology in appropriate funding sources
- borrow equipment on a trial basis
- purchase selected equipment or software at discount prices
- consult with specialists regarding accessibility issues
- receive training
- receive on-site support at home, in schools and on the job
The Tools for Life team also works closely with school personnel, family and related service providers and offers helpful information on related laws, policies, funding tips, and possible funding sources.
Credit-Able Loan Program: Making Independence Affordable for Georgians with Disabilities
What is Credit-Able?
Credit-Able is Georgia’s Alternative Financing Program for Assistive Technology. Its mission is to make living independently an affordable option for Georgians with disabilities.
The Credit-Able program provides direct loans at an interest rate range between 5% and 9%, depending on your credit score, amount and term of the loan.
What can I use a Credit-Able loan for?
Are you in need of modifications to make your daily life easier to navigate? A Credit-Able loan may be for you. A Credit-Able loan can help you pay for Assistive Technology including but not limited to the following:
- Stair lifts
- Video magnifiers for low vision
- Home modifications including ramps, roll-in showers, lowered cabinets, and widened doors
- Hearing aids
- Braille writers
- Vehicle modifications
Am I eligible for a Credit-Able loan?
Applicants for the Credit-Able loan must meet the following qualifications in order to be considered:
- A person with a disability, or someone purchasing the equipment on behalf of a person with a disability;
- A legal resident of Georgia and of the United States;
- A person who is using the loan to purchase assistive technology equipment and/or services.
How can I apply for a Credit-Able loan?
Applying for a Credit-Able loan is simple. You can visit the website for the Center for Financial Independence and Innovation at www.cfiiga.org and use the online form, or you can contact the Tools for Life AT Funding and Resource Specialist, Danny Housley, by email or by phone at 404-385-7029 to request an application or for additional questions.
Dollars & Sense Funding Guide
This unique funding guide is a database with information on agencies and organizations that can possibly provide funding for assistive technology and/or related services. Dollars & Sense also includes a helpful glossary on commonly used terms, AT laws, and sample letters.
This online equipment exchange, operated similarly to craigslist, provides a way for people in the community to sell, donate or search for assistive technology. This is a free service and exchanges are the sole responsibility of the parties involved.